Mail forwarding is a process that can take months to fully complete, and it’s not always easy to remember which financial institutions you get regular statements from so you can change your address before your move. That said, it should be generally easy to resolve this problem.

If you find that you’re not getting important financial statements in the mail (from your student loan servicer or other lenders), the first step is to get online. Go to that financial institution’s website and register if you haven’t already done so. Then log in and make sure your address listed with the account is up-to-date.

You can often find archives of old statements online, making it easy to see what statements you might have missed already.

If your financial institution doesn’t have a way to log in online, or if you prefer to get things in the mail, the next option is to find their phone number either online or on an old statement. Then give them a call directly and ask them to update your new address and see if they’ll send you the old statements you’re missing.

And that should be it! To keep things super simple in the future, and possibly even more secure, you can consider opting out of paper statements entirely. That way moving won’t affect your statements moving forward.

Want to learn more? Click here to find out what to do about paper financial statements getting lost in the mail.